Korey's Wordpress Plugins Forums Forum Index Korey's Wordpress Plugins Forums
Home of Lazy-K Gallery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Korey's Wordpress Plugins Site

Undeleable "thumbs" folder after attempted install
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korey's Wordpress Plugins Forums Forum Index -> Installation/Configuration Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ItsMe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Undeleable "thumbs" folder after attempted install Reply with quote

I installed this as instructed, but it would not work for me. There was confusion about the UID and permissions, and so the slides wouldn't create, and the thumbs went nuts. I UN-installed completely, so this isn't what I'm here to ask about, just background.

My question is about the fact that I now have a folder named "thumbs" on my site that I can't delete, I can't chmod, I can't do ANYTHING to. (Yes via the lazy-k-gallery options I changed the thumbnail folder to be called "thumbs" rather than the default.) I can't touch them via FTP nor through my web host's file manager. If I try to delete any of the files via FTP I receive an eror much like this one:
550 /domains/leeese.com/public_html/wp_pics/thumbs/20060725_profile1.jpg: Operation not permitted
DELE babyclothes.jpg
550 babyclothes.jpg: Permission denied

Attempting to delete one of these thumbnails via my web host's file manager I receive this error:
Unable to delete /domains/leeese.com/public_html/wp_pics/thumbs/babyclothes.jpg. Write access to the directory containing /domains/leeese.com/public_html/wp_pics/thumbs/babyclothes.jpg is not allowed for the process's effective uid, or one of the directories in pathname did not allow search (execute) permission.

True, this folder (and its contents) does not allow Execute by ANYONE. But trying to chmod to 755 (or anything else) results in:
Unable to chmod /domains/leeese.com/public_html/wp_pics/thumbs/babyclothes.jpg to 755

Needless to say I'm baffled. Any help would be appreciated. How would your plugin (thumbnail creation) have created a folder and images that I can't delete or touch?? Thanks in advance!

P.S. By the way, the permissions for each image within the thumbs folder is 644, and I can't seem to change that by any means I know to do so.
Korey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not terribly familiar with permissions issues, though I've seen a few people having issues like yours. Sometimes hosting providers do different things with the permission settings. Those thumbnail folder weren't created by you - they were created by the script. Are you able to change the "owner" on those files and folders?
ItsMe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I either can't or don't know how to change the owner of these files or the folder they're in. I've never had to do this before, and I don't see any options for it via FTP or my web host interface. Very strange indeed!
Korey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I don't see that in the FTP client either... Do you have shell access (i.e. telnet, ssh) to you host? I don't have that on my web host, nor have I had to mess with file permissions, so I wish I had more knowledge to share...

What is your web host? Maybe we could find some information about their permissions policies there. I'd like to help, but at the moment I don't know the answer. I'll do some studying.
ItsMe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the quick reply. I don't have shell access (I don't think, but I'll check and make doubly sure.)

My web host is Dixiesys. I really could use some help with this. This is the reply I got to my support ticket about the issue, and there's no way I'm paying them $10 to remove these files. I'm at a loss at this point, unfortunately.

Hello,

Removing or chowing files and folders that the user can't delete due to them using some sort of script (typically badly written gallery scripts) that creates unremovable files incurs a $10 fee.

If you have a credit card on file just tell us the last 4 digits and that it's ok to charge the fee and we'll take it from there, if you use paypal just send $10 to sales@dixiesys.com and put in the notes section what you need deleted.

This has become necessary due to the large number of support requests like this we recieve, to put it honestly it's not our fault, nor is it a problem with the server, it's simply badly written code creating files the user can't delete and we had to start charging for the extra service.

Thanks!

-----
This message is from the Dixiesys and 8-95.com Helpdesk
Korey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see if I can find a way to make my "poorly written" code change the owner of those files, but I'm not sure how my script is supposed to know who "you" are. Nearly everyone else I've heard from automatically becomes the owner of the thumbnail folder and files based on the host setup.

I'll post if I'm able to find an approach. If anyone else reading has a suggestion I'd appreciate it.
Korey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ItsMe-

Any chance you could put me in touch with the support rep. from your hosting provider? I've been trying to figure out how to create directories that YOU can delete, but so far most of what I've seen is other developers pointing the blame back on the hosting provider.

Any directories that my gallery software creates are likely being created by the "nobody" or "www", etc. user, so that "nobody" user is the owner of the file. On their hosting platform, you (in other words your personal account) don't have the rights to delete those files. On most hosts people can delete files within their home directory. I wanted to ask them what approach they recommend for assigning ownership, etc. on these files and folders.
ItsMe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate you digging into this! It is such a strange thing, not sure why they would have it set up the way they do.

The best place might be their support forums, here: http://forums.dixiesys.com/

The main guy's name at Dixiesys is Gary, and his email is gary@dixiesys.com. I've found him very responsive when I contact him directly (moreso than if I open a ticket or go through support.) I hope that's helpful.

Thanks again.
Korey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Gary directly and he confirmed that you will not be able to delete delete those folders by yourself, since "you" are not the owner of those folders - the "apache" user (which is the user the web server runs as) owns them. Most other hosts allow the user to delete/change those files anyway (though a variety of means) but it doesn't sound like he's interested in doing that.

The only thing that can delete those folders is an administrator or a PHP script.

Here's what I'll do - I'll take a look at making Lazy-K Gallery able to delete those thumbnail and slide folders through the cache manager. I'll make it delete the FOLDERS as well as the files when you select those options. I will work on it soon, but I'll need to be careful not to let that script delete anything goofy. What you'll have to do then is reinstall the plugin (enter your gallery address and slide/thumb directories) and visit the cache manager to clean things up.
ItsMe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really are awesome, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this! Sorry for the late reply, the topic reply notification went into my spam.

Sorry for the hassle, I really am surprised, not only that their hosting is set up this way, but also at how they've responded to this -- they have been absolutely great in the past if I've needed help with anything.

Thanks again!
Korey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, policies are policies, so we'll just have to work within them! I'll try to get something for you today if possible.
Korey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to post an update. The changes I discussed earlier turned out a bit more complicated than I initially thought, but I'm close to a solution now. The cache manager really needed some attention, so I'm working on an improvement to it.
ItsMe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I guess good will come from this, after all. Smile
Korey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making a new version of Lazy-K Gallery available to you. If you install it, you should be able to use the cache manager to delete the folders in your gallery directory. Here's what you need to do:

1. Back up all your files on your host! I'm pretty sure this works, but it IS DELETING FILES, so don't take a chance.
  2. Download the new version (I'll send you a private message with the URL)
  3. Install the plugin
  4. Set up the plugin with the gallery directory and slides/thumbs subdirectories you used before
  5. Visit the cache manager
  6. Check the two "Delete" options
  7. Start the process

I'm hoping this will work for you. I reworked much of the cache manager, but I don't only have any way to test on an environment like yours, without, well, using yours!

I look forward to hearing how it goes.
Virus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hei.

Im having the same problem as the other person here. Any chance you can give me this special version too?

Great product btw. Thanks
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korey's Wordpress Plugins Forums Forum Index -> Installation/Configuration Issues All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: